03 December 2017

EDITORIAL - Bring Back the Sabbath?

IN A WORLD THAT IS ALWAYS ON, SHOULD WE, MUST WE, DEMAND REST

Image result for rest imagesRecently I came across an article in the New York Times By JUDITH SHULEVITZ

She writes in an earlier time (MARCH, 2003) but the story spoke to me today. It shares her journey, her wrestle with her own need for Sabbath and it challenges us to become more mindful of our need for rest. I am a person often driven by a need to create, a person that technology once enslaved and a person who often experienced endless cycles without rest.

In the Genesis story of creation, we observe a first Sabbath, God taking time to rest and consider what He had created. In an earlier time of my life, resting on Sunday was enforced by Christian parents. As an adult the Baptist lifestyle often seemed a little ritualistic and later in life I just slipped away from the disciplines of earlier life. 

However, in recent years, I have returned to Sabbath as the practice of a weekly rest and as a time when my phone, the TV, the radio, the internet and other distractions are avoided. In addition, worship of the Creator has also returned to my life and a ministry of encouragement has flourished in my relationships. There have been several impacts. I see things around me I used to miss. I suspect my wife and family see a different, more attentive person (at least one day a week). But most of all, I find myself more thankful, more accepting and more appreciative than anxious and frustrated. 

Do I still shop on Sunday? Occasionally. 
Do I still work on Sunday? Very seldom. 
Do I enjoy a Sabbath meal and fellowship with friends? More than ever. 
Do I fail to receive important phone calls, texts and emails? Yup, until Monday.
Do I regret turning things off for one day? Never.
Do I now expect a Sabbath? Always.


Image result for rest images
The past four years has brought us three grand babies. Watching them rest with such innocence and peace reassures me that Sabbath is right and rest is one of the best, most necessary practices for life. 

I can't speak for what you should do. But I will encourage you to make room for Sabbath. And I hope this rest awakens your faith in God. 

I have come to believe life is never really enjoyed without practising Sabbath. However, you are unlikely to hear this from the cacophony of voices that overwhelm us today. 

I am also convinced you will have more joy and peace in your life if you become more mindful of your need for Sabbath.


God bless!

About Executive Producer, Larry R. Evans:
Larry Evans is an experienced innovator and strategist. He is Principal of The Paradigm Corporation, which is headquartered at Thunder Ridge just outside Crossfield, Alberta, Canada. He is known for bringing a unique and predictive lens to paradigm shifts during a career that spans 45 years. Now often from his wheel chair, he brings a grounded, tenacious view of brand, ecosystems and trusted relationships for the digital age. His perspective and values influence his life, business and ministry.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/larryrevans



No comments:

Post a Comment